Recipe: Cinnamon Amaranth Porridge (GF, DF, Vegan)


I always love discovering 'new' exciting foods and my housemates will attest to my constant dragging home of weird and wonderful ingredients for the purposes of experimentation. One of my recent discoveries is amaranth.

I first heard of amaranth via the brilliant Green Kitchen Stories's recipes but it took me a while to track it down in little old New Zealand. Finally I did, and it's leaped to near the top of my favourite grains list (although its technically a seed). Amaranth is a great breakfast cereal as its packed with high levels of protein with varieties some used for hundreds of years in ancient cultures from South Asia and South America.

This breakfast porridge is a fun, spicy and aromatic alternative to traditional porridge. It's also free from refined sugars, gluten and dairy.


Ingredients (serves 2)

1/2 cup dry amaranth
1 1/2 cups of water
2 dates diced
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup almond milk
Organic shredded coconut
Raspberries 

Place water and amaranth into a saucepan and bring it to the boil. Add dates and simmer on a low heat for 20-25 minutes (or until water is absorbed and the amaranth is soft). Mix in cinnamon and serve in mounds in a breakfast bowl. Pour almond milk over the amaranth and sprinkle with coconut and Raspberries. Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment