My top 5 dairy substitutes



Being dairy free is sometimes a challenge, but after almost 5 years of dairy intolerance I have managed to successfully navigate the good, the bad and the ugly of dairy substitutes. There's a wide range of products on the market, but not all really good. These are my favourites:

1) Cashew Cream Cheese
My favorite supplier for cream cheese in Auckland's amazing vegan deli. Its the best tasting stuff on the planet. I use it in homemade desserts, stuffing and its amazing spread on sprouted bread. You can also get good products from vegan grocers but I prefer supporting local businesses.

2) Brazil/Tree Nut Cheese
This was my most recent finding. I had tried soy based artificial cheeses before and they just didn't make the cut in terms of flavor and texture. I also try to avoid large amounts of soy based products because in large amounts they can have health implications. Brazil nut cheeses are decadent and delicious, perfect for a vegan wine and cheese night.

3) Coconut Yoghurt
Since finding coconut yoghurt I have added to so many parts of my diet. Its in my overnight chia and buckwheat bowls, smoothies and I mix with avocado and cacao to make decadent chocolate mousse. Its an excellent source of probiotics and just tastes oh so decadent.

4) Almond Milk
Almond milk is my main milk alternative because I love the flavour and its versatility. My two top blends are unsweetened organic almond milk and a brilliant coconut milk/almond milk blend. 

5) CulinaryYeast
Culinary/savory yeast is my favourite 'quick and easy' cheese alternative. It replicates the flavour of cheese well and is easily added to sauces or sprinkled on dishes. I love creating a sauce with it and soy milk to make quinoa risotto.

Most of these are easy to find and some are affordable and easy to make at home. What are your favourite healthy/intolerance-friendly substitutes? Where do you get them?

No comments :

Post a Comment