Spring Into Spring: The non-food side of my detox


I try to approach wellness in a holistic way. If I am paying special attention to my diet I must also pay special attention to my mind, soul and physicality. Our bodies are dynamic and interconnected with our emotions so looking after one boosts looking after the other. This means its important to love all of yourself! Its such a fun thing to do.

Last post I discussed just a few of the things I am doing at the moment to ensure only good and nourishing things are getting into my body, but that's just the beginning. Here is a little peak into the things I have been introducing for the next little while to really cleanse and uplift both my body and mind.

1) Getting up with the Sun

I have never had a huge problem with getting up early but I have always chosen to wake later to enable me to stay up more. After reading up about how good waking up early is for you I decided to give it ago and have been doing it since Monday last week. So far so good, generally my mood and energy have been much higher as I have that technology-less, rushless time in the morning to enjoy the sunrise with my hot lemon, do some stretches and a walk and slowly potter round and get ready for the day. I really find it has a grounding effect on my day and helps me gauge how my mood and body is feeling as soon as I am up so I know my limits for the day. I also try and keep my phone and computer at bay until just before I leave for work because this time is my quiet, grounding time.

2) Movement

Exercise is wonderful! It strengthens us and pushes us allowing a positive outlet for difficult emotions, stress and uncertainty. During the this detox I have been ensuring I exercise for an hour 5-6 days out of the week. For me this looks like long power-walks in the park, jogs in my neighbourhood and power yoga classes but I really encourage you to find your niche in exercise. Pick something that you really enjoy, that doesn't feel like a chore and that works for your muscle and body type.

3) Detoxing Treatments 

One thing I love about treatments that detox your body is that they usually feel amazing and indulgent. The weekend entering my detox I made an appointment for a long aryuvedic massage at my local spa. Massages are great because they help rid tissues of toxins and stimulate lymph and blood flow and lets face it the feel so good! I really enjoyed my first ayruvedic massage as they custom blended the oil for my 'dosha' (temperament and body type combination) for omptimal benifit.

I also have been taking time to have nice long soaks in my detoxing bath salts (bathory does amazing custom blends with organic oils) and giving myself regular facials (I love oasis's fruit smoothie). Two things that are more affordable than a massage and do wonders for your body and mind.

4) Outside time

 Before technology and electricity our bodies were well tuned up to the sun and moon and as humans our bodies and emotions are effected by things like sunlight. I am very concious of how my exposure to the sun (and the moon) effects my mood and energy levels - if I don't get outside enough my body starts 'forgetting' to stay awake, I feel more dissociated and less aware of whats going on outside of my little space. So I have made a conscious decision (rain or shine) to ensure I spend some quality time outside every day to soak up the light and help my body clock calibrate

So those things are just a few of the more mindful changes I am making moving forward and most of them I intend to keep past my little detox. What things invigorate you and help you feel in touch with your body and emotions?
 

2 comments :

  1. I love these! Definitely a wake up call that I need to start doing a few of these myself. Especially the outside time - maybe I'll start doing my yoga outside or going for walks in the park, tackle two birds with one stone! xM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outside yoga is so amazing, especially at sunrise and sunset. Its so therapeutic!

      Delete